Friday, January 14, 2011

Oregon's highest mountain just around the corner from us





I thought I would write today about our beautiful Mt. Hood, a "sleepy" or dormant volcano with recent eruptions in 1804, 1853, 1854, 1859, 1865 and 1907 and hopefully non in the near future. Mt. Hood is the highest Mountain in Oregon and second most climbed mountain in the world. It is so beautiful looking with all the snow, but it is really a very dangerous mountain, many experienced climbers in the past years became victims. Mt. Hood rises 11,235 feet above sea level, eleven glaciers grace its peak.
A classic, alpine Ski Lodge and Mt. Hood Landmark is Timberline Lodge, which was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977 and is one of Oregon's most popular tourist attractions, drawing nearly 2 million visitors every year from around the world.
Ground was broken for this Landmark in June 14, 1936 and President Franklin Roosevelt dedicated the completed Lodge on September 28, 1937 after only 15 months of completion.
It is just a beautiful place!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hanni: You were one of my winners! Congrats!! Send me your email address so I can send Mr. Frostee to you. I also love the view of those spectacular mountains!! We have the Adirondack mountains here in upstate NY.
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Patti, I just love this little guy and now I am a winner, it couldn't get better, thank you so much. I am follower of your cute blog.

    ReplyDelete